I had a cupcake craving but no desire to make plain vanilla or chocolate, the only two flavors I had ingredients for. I decided to give black sesame a whirl. I checked Pinterest and found these two recipes. The first one looked beautiful but seemed too much work. The second one had matcha cream cheese icing on top which made me cringe. I decided just to see how much sesame they put in and modify a vanilla cupcake recipe. I went with the Hummingbird Bakery recipe as I know it works well.
I really enjoyed them and the husband gave two thumbs up. These are not too sweet and are suitable to make for people in Japan. I made a half batch of icing and still had leftovers. This could be because I used tall cups so I ended up with only nine cupcakes instead of twelve.
You can see that I don’t use a lot of icing. This is a result of living in Japan so long. I can’t stomach a big swirl of icing on top. If you make these for Japanese people (or anyone from a country that doesn’t use much sugar) or long term expats, I would recommend a thin layer of icing and reducing the sugar to half.
Modifications to the cupcakes
- reduced the sugar to 100g (you could go down to half and not miss the sugar)
- used rice milk instead of whole milk (that’s what I had)
- took out one tablespoon of flour (to balance for the ground sesame)
- added two tablespoons of ground black sesame
- used a hand mixer (whipped butter, added dry ingredients, added wet ingredients)
Modifications to the butter cream
- made a half batch
- added in one tablespoon of ground black sesame before the powdered sugar
- didn’t actually measure the powdered sugar (I have followed the recipe properly before and it was great)
- used a hand mixer
What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Do you have a go to recipe that everyone should try? Leave a comment below.